Connect with us

News

Canada’s current deficit level will be ‘unsustainable’ within 1 to 2 years: PBO – Global News

Published

on


The federal government has no more than one or two years to rein in the hundreds of billions of dollars in deficits it is wracking up through coronavirus spending, or risk the debt being “unsustainable.”

That’s according to parliamentary budget officer Yves Giroux, who spoke with The West Block‘s Mercedes Stephenson about the federal government’s spending ahead of a throne speech on Sept. 23, which Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said will pitch “ambitious” new programs.

“It’s without a doubt that we cannot afford deficits of over $300 billion for more than just a few years,” said Giroux. “And when I say a few years, I really mean a year or two. Beyond that, it would become unsustainable.

“So if the government has plans for additional spending, it will clearly have to make difficult choices and either raise taxes or reduce other areas of spending. Because it’s clear that we cannot afford to have deficits of that magnitude for even the medium term.”

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
Liberals to unveil ‘ambitious green agenda’ in throne speech, Trudeau says

Trudeau said in an interview with Global News last week that he plans to roll out an “ambitious green agenda” in the throne speech, which will come after he prorogued Parliament in the midst of the WE Charity scandal.

He said the country needs to focus on a green economic recovery to climb out from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and the worldwide economic shock waves the virus created.






2:40
Pandemic blamed for Canadian economy’s record drop


Pandemic blamed for Canadian economy’s record drop

But he has also touted the need for expanded employment supports, including new child care and social spending, and there have been recent reports of plans to increase spending, with CBC News citing one Liberal insider as saying the government plans on spending “on a scale we haven’t seen before.”

Story continues below advertisement

In a statement emailed to Global News, Canada’s Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said the country is contending with a “historic, worldwide economic slowdown.”

“One for which Canada was well-prepared, due to our strong fiscal position, relative to those of our G7 peers,” the statement reads. “Canada has a well-deserved international reputation for smart and prudent fiscal management. That is the approach our government has taken and will continue to take.”

However,  the throne speech and any new spending promises in it come as the country is bearing the load of a $343-billion deficit this fiscal year, with no clear plan presented by the government on how it plans to pay it down — or when it will rein in spending.

Read more:
Canada’s coronavirus deficit soaring to $343B as feds warn of ‘permanent change’ to economy

That number came from a “fiscal snapshot” presented by former finance minister Bill Morneau in July.

It contained no clues as to whether Canadians can expect tax increases or service cuts down the road to pay off the cost of the deficit, though Trudeau has said the government is not currently eyeing tax hikes.

Giroux said that even if the government maintains the current deficit level but shifts the spending around, that won’t solve the problem — the amount, he said, needs to be brought under control.

Story continues below advertisement

What’s concerning is the absence of a longer-term plan,” he said. “That is concerning to me and to most people who are concerned about public finances.”

He said it’s one thing to spend to support the country during a crisis, and does not believe anyone would argue that spending was not needed.

“But what people and credit rating agencies, financial markets and Canadians are waiting to see is what is the government’s plan to get out of that crisis and what are the public finances likely to look like in the next year? And in the next couple of years?” he said.

As the crisis is evolving and we are in months three, four, five, six and seven of this crisis, I think it’s reasonable for Canadians to expect more from the government in terms of what’s the plan going forward.”






3:14
$343-billion deficit projected for 2020-2021 fiscal year


$343-billion deficit projected for 2020-2021 fiscal year

-With files from Global News’ Hannah Jackson

Story continues below advertisement

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Coronavirus: Canada adds 870 new cases, 6 deaths in last 24 hours – Global News

Published

on


Canada added 870 new cases of the coronavirus Thursday, but the national case count rose by an extra 248 cases that were delayed in reporting, bringing the national total to 140,752.

Six new deaths were also reported nation-wide in the last 24 hours, plus one from earlier in the week in Quebec, to bring the total to 9,200.

Read more:
Ontario reports 293 new coronavirus cases with majority in Toronto, Peel Region and Ottawa

Ontario reported 293 new cases on Thursday, a slight decrease from the 315 reported the day before.

Three more deaths in the province have brought its total toll to 2,825, and resolved cases increased by 179 from the day before.

Fifty-three people are currently hospitalized, up from nine on Wednesday, while 21 patients are in intensive care, up from one on Wednesday, with 12 of them on a ventilator.

Story continues below advertisement






1:53
Quebec raises coronavirus alert level in several regions including Montreal


Quebec raises coronavirus alert level in several regions including Montreal

Quebec reported 251 new cases in the last 24 hours, but added 499 cases Thursday due to a delay in reporting from earlier in the week, bringing its case total to 66,356.

The province now has been reporting an average of 300 new infections per day the last week.

“It’s everywhere that we have to be careful,” Health Minister Christian Dubé said.

Read more:
Quebecers must be careful in coming days as coronavirus cases rise, health minister says

Two deaths occurred in the province in the last 24 hours and one other was recorded that occurred earlier in the week.

The number of hospitalizations in the province shot up since Wednesday, going from six to 136, with 29 patients in intensive care, up from three a day earlier.

Story continues below advertisement

Over in British Columbia, 165 new cases of coronavirus were reported, setting a new single-day record over 139 recorded last week. Two of those cases are considered epi-linked.






5:37
Strengthening public health in British Columbia by reducing the risk of influenza during the pandemic


Strengthening public health in British Columbia by reducing the risk of influenza during the pandemic

There are now 1,705 active cases in the province, a record high for them.

One new death was reported to bring the total to 210.

However, hospitalizations did decrease from 60 patients to 57, with 22 of them in intensive care.

In Alberta, 146 new cases were reported, bringing the province’s active cases to 1,403 with 41 in hospital and eight of them in ICU. No new deaths were reported.

Read more:
Alberta shifting away from wide asymptomatic testing as province confirms another 146 cases of COVID-19

Story continues below advertisement

Saskatchewan added seven new cases, while one case from Wednesday had been removed after deeming it to be from a non-Saskatchewan resident.

There are currently 109 active cases and five patients in hospital in the province, all in Saskatoon. No new deaths were reported.

Manitoba reported 11 new cases Thursday, and currently has 293 active cases with 10 in hospital and two in intensive care. No new deaths were reported.






1:57
Coronavirus: Manitoba’s top doctor raises alarm over ‘stigmatizing behaviour’ in COVID-19 case


Coronavirus: Manitoba’s top doctor raises alarm over ‘stigmatizing behaviour’ in COVID-19 case

New Brunswick reported no new cases Thursday and said there are currently two active cases there.

Nova Scotia has continued its streak of no new cases, up to 10 days now.

No new cases were reported in the territories.

There have been 30,019,763 confirmed cases globally so far, according to Johns Hopkins University, and 943,515 deaths.

Story continues below advertisement

— With files from Global News staff

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

What StatCan learned by asking 35000 Canadians about pandemic discrimination – CTV News

Published

on


TORONTO —
New data from Statistics Canada is adding to growing calls for the federal government to address racial inequities experienced by various population groups in Canada during the course of the pandemic in its economic recovery plan.

The survey results released Thursday found that 28 per cent of Canadians surveyed reported they had experienced some form of discrimination since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Statistics Canada surveyed 35,000 Canadians between Aug. 4 to 24 to better understand which groups have been negatively impacted as a result of systemic failures amid the health crisis.

The agency notes that the survey data is not based on random selection and that the findings should not be interpreted to represent the overall Canadian population.

Young participants aged 15 to 24 were twice as likely as seniors aged 65 and older to report that they had experienced discrimination over the course of the pandemic. Among youth, Statistics Canada found women were 45 per cent more likely than their male counterparts to reporting having experienced prejudice.

Both Indigenous men and women were more likely than their non-Indigenous participants to report experiences of discrimination, but the difference was again particularly large among women.

DISCRIMINATION IN POPULATION GROUPS

According to the report, the experiences of discrimination also varied “across ethnocultural characteristics.”

Statistics Canada found that Chinese, Korean, Southeast Asian and Black participants were more than twice as likely as white participants to report that they had experienced discrimination.

The agency said the results are consistent with the data from a previous crowdsourcing initiative, which found that Chinese, Korean and Southeast Asian participants perceived an increase in the frequency of race-based harassment or attacks since the beginning of the pandemic.

The new report also found that immigrants who arrived in Canada within the last 10 years were more likely than established immigrants and Canadian-born participants to report that they had experienced discrimination.

Gender-diverse participants who did not report their gender as exclusively female or male were almost three times more likely than males to report that they had experienced discrimination during the pandemic. LGBTQ and other sexual minority participants were also more likely to report experiencing discrimination.

Additionally, participants who identified themselves as having a disability were twice as likely as participants without a disability to report being discriminated against.

FORMS OF DISCRIMINATION

Among those who said that they experienced discrimination, the most commonly reported form was based on race or skin colour (34 per cent), followed by age (30 per cent), physical appearance (26 per cent) ethnicity and culture (25 per cent) and sex (22 per cent).

Avvy Go, director of the Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic, says the new data amplifies equity concerns those who have experienced racism have had for years.

Go told CTV’s Your Morning on Thursday that the coronavirus pandemic has exposed racial inequities in multiple sectors across Canada including employment, health care, housing and education.

“Even before the pandemic, People of Colour, Indigenous people were earning less income, they were more likely to be employed in low wage jobs, and they have higher unemployment rates… There has also been significant increases for unemployment rate among Chinese and South Asian, more so than any other group,” Go said.

“We know that this is a result of systemic racism and structural racism within the labour market.”

Colour of Poverty – Colour of Change (COP-COC) is a campaign that is currently pushing for political parties to acknowledge racial inequalities amid the COVID-19 pandemic in Canada’s economic restart plan.

The campaign is calling for the federal government to address discrimination within its borders so the health crisis does not continue to impact racialized groups more so than other populations.

“By doing so, we will increase the opportunities for employment for the underrepresented groups, and that includes not just people of colour, but also women and people with disability as well,” Go said.

WHERE AND HOW DISCRIMINATION OCCURS

As each group faces its own set of unique challenges and circumstances, Statistics Canada found that the most common forms of discrimination differed between groups.

Among Indigenous participants who faced bias over the course of the pandemic, the most common form was discrimination based on Indigenous identity while those belonging to a visible minority group reported forms related to race and ethnicity. Among Black participants 84 per cent reported that they had experienced discrimination related to race or skin colour.

Similar to how the forms of discrimination were mixed, where participants experienced prejudice also varied.

Statistics Canada reported that about 4 in 10 participants (36 per cent) said that they had experienced discrimination in a store, bank or restaurant. One-third experienced it while using public areas such as parks and sidewalks, almost one-third experienced it online, and approximately 3 in 10 experienced it in the workplace or when applying for a job.

However, not all groups experienced the same types of discrimination situations.

According to the data, Black and South Asian participants reported more often incidents of discrimination that occurred in a store, bank or restaurant.

Chinese and Filipino participants were more likely to report experiencing discrimination while using public areas, and Arab respondents were more likely to report bias in the workplace.

Gender-diverse and sexual minority participants said they mostly faced discrimination online.

In all population groups, participants who reported experiencing discrimination also had lower levels of trust in institutions, including the police and the court system.

Statistics Canada acknowledged that each population group faces its own unique set of challenges and additional analyses will be required to get a deeper understanding of issues faced by all groups of people that live in Canada.

Visualizations by CTVNews.ca’s Mahima Singh

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

U.S. supply firm executives 'should not have been permitted' to enter Canada: Blair – CTV News

Published

on


OTTAWA —
Public Safety Minister Bill Blair says executives of an American supply company did not receive quarantine exemptions from the Canadian government and “should not have been permitted” to enter the country.

According to a CBC News investigation, three executives from shipping and business supply firm Uline Inc. flew to Toronto on a private jet and visited the company’s facility in Milton, Ont. without quarantining. A spokesperson for the company told CBC News that the three employees were issued formal exemptions from the mandatory two-week self-isolation period for their two day-trip.

A federal order-in-council dictates that there are only five individuals who can issue such an exemption: Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam, Health Minister Patty Hajdu, Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino, Foreign Affairs Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne and Public Safety Minister Bill Blair.

Blair took to Twitter on Thursday to say that the government had not issued any exemptions in this case.

“To clarify: No special entry exemptions were provided to Uline executives, nor were any National Interest Exemptions. This was not a political decision,” Blair said.

“A decision was made by officers based on the information provided. Entry should not have been permitted.”

Blair said the government is working to prevent such a repeat of the incident.

“It is important that Canadians continue to have confidence in the integrity of our border. We are working with the CBSA to ensure that similar cases do not occur again,” he said in a tweet.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford also weighed in on the story during a Thursday press conference.

“There should be one rule for all the people, it doesn’t matter who you are, I don’t care if you have 50 cents or you have $10 billion. It doesn’t make a difference,” Ford said.

He applauded the border service agents, saying that “if someone slipped up” or “made a little mistake” he’s “sure it’s not going to happen again.”

“Just treat our rules with respect, and everyone’s going to have a good time after the quarantine and after we open up the borders, but not until then. Just stay at home, wherever you’re coming from, and we’ll open our arms up after we get through this,” Ford added.

CTV News has reached out to Uline Inc. for comment.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending