Aug 3 (Reuters) – Users of Facebook Inc’s (FB.O) WhatsApp can now send disappearing photos and videos on its platform starting this week, as it looks to better compete with Snap Inc’s (SNAP.N) photo messaging app Snapchat.
The feature, called View Once, will let photos and videos disappear from the chat after they have been seen, Facebook said in a blog post on Tuesday, adding that once the media content has been viewed, the message will be shown as “opened.”
Snapchat, known for its Stories feature that lets users post updates that disappear after 24 hours, has grown in popularity last year as pandemic-induced curbs kept users at home. The company has also been adding new features on its messaging app to attract more users.
Reporting by Akanksha Rana in Bengaluru; Editing by Maju Samuel
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
iOS 15.5 and macOS 12.4 bring updates to Podcasts, digital payments, and more – Ars Technica
Apple released new software updates for all of its platforms on Tuesday. That includes the following:
- iOS 15.5 for iPhones and the iPod touch
- iPadOS 15.5 for iPads
- macOS 12.4 for Macs
- watchOS 8.6 for the Apple Watch
- tvOS 15.5 for the Apple TV
- HomePod Software 15.5 for HomePods
- Studio Display Firmware 15.5 for the Studio Display
- Swift Playgrounds 4.1 for iPad and Mac
These are almost certainly the last updates before the company’s annual developer conference, which is scheduled to kick off on June 6. Among other things, Apple will announce iOS and iPadOS 16, macOS 13, and watchOS 9 at the conference, but those updates won’t arrive until later this year.
Today’s iOS update offers just enough new user-facing features to earn that 15.x label instead of 15.x.x, which is usually reserved for bug fixes and the like.
All told, though, it’s a small update. The built-in Podcasts app gets “a new setting to limit episodes stored on your Mac and automatically delete older ones.”
And 15.5 allows the iPhone to be used as a point-of-sale device without any additional hardware, as reported in February.
Previously, vendors like farmer’s market stalls and home repair services used iPhones with attached add-on hardware from companies like Stripe to receive payments.
Now the iPhone doesn’t need those attachments; Stripe works just fine with an iPhone fresh out of the box.
Additionally, iOS 15.5 brings safety features in the Messages app meant to prevent children from being exposed to inappropriate content in the following new countries:
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- United States
On the macOS side, Apple names just two user-facing changes in its release notes. It adds support for Studio Display Firmware Update 15.5 (which claims to improve webcam performance on Apple’s new monitor), and the built-in Podcasts app gets the same new feature that iOS did.
However, macOS 12.4 includes more than 50 security updates under the hood, according to Apple’s support documentation.
watchOS 8.6 is a relatively minor update. It expands some of the Watch’s health features—namely irregular heart rhythm detection and the ECG—to Apple Watch users in Mexico.
Studio Display Firmware 15.5 attempts to address some user complaints about the monitor’s webcam quality. Apple hasn’t shared any details about what’s in the HomePod firmware update or tvOS 15.5.
There’s also Swift Playgrounds 4.1 for Mac and iPad. It’s not an OS update, but it landed around the same time. It allows users to use Playgrounds to build apps with SwiftUI on the Mac, and it deepens App Store Connect integration for publishing apps, among other things.
Sony finally unveils first batch of all-new PlayStation Plus games, including PS1 classics – MobileSyrup
PlayStation has finally offered an official list of some of the games that will be offered through the upcoming expansion of its PlayStation Plus service.
As previously confirmed, the current PS Plus benefits — online multiplayer, a few free monthly games and cloud saves — will remain the same through the ‘PS Plus Essential’ tier. This will still be priced at $69.99 CAD/year.
However, read on for a first look at “some” of the titles that are being offered through the two higher PS Plus tiers.
PlayStation Plus Extra
- 1 month — $17.99
- 3 months — $49.99
- 12 months — $114.99
PS Plus Extra subscribers get a catalogue of “up to 400” first- and third-party PS4 and PS5 games — here are the ones PlayStation has just confirmed. It should be noted that all of the Ubisoft games listed below are part of a new ‘Ubisoft+ Classics’ perk that will be available through PlayStation Plus Extra.
- Alienation | Housemarque, PS4
- Bloodborne | FromSoftware, PS4
- Concrete Genie | Pixelopus, PS4
- Days Gone | Bend Studio, PS4
- Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition | Housemarque, PS4
- Death Stranding and Death Stranding Director’s Cut | Kojima Productions, PS4/PS5
- Demon’s Souls | Bluepoint Games, PS5
- Destruction AllStars | Lucid Games, PS5
- Everybody’s Golf | Japan Studio, PS4
- Ghost Of Tsushima Director’s Cut | Sucker Punch, PS4/ PS5
- God of War | Santa Monica Studio, PS4
- Gravity Rush 2 | Japan Studio, PS4
- Gravity Rush Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Horizon Zero Dawn | Guerrilla, PS4
- Infamous First Light | Sucker Punch, PS4
- Infamous Second Son | Sucker Punch, PS4
- Knack | Japan Studio, PS4
- LittleBigPlanet 3 | Sumo Digital, PS4
- LocoRoco Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- LocoRoco 2 Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Marvel’s Spider-Man | Insomniac Games, PS4
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales | Insomniac Games, PS4/PS5
- Matterfall |Housemarque, PS4
- MediEvil | Other Ocean, PS4
- Patapon Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Patapon 2 Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Resogun | Housemarque, PS4
- Returnal | Housemarque, PS5
- Shadow of the Colossus | Japan Studio, PS4
- Tearaway Unfolded |Media Molecule, PS4
- The Last Guardian | Japan Studio, PS4
- The Last of Us Remastered | Naughty Dog, PS4
- The Last of Us: Left Behind | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Until Dawn | Supermassive Games, PS4
- Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection |Naughty Dog, PS4
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy | Naughty Dog, PS4
- WipEout Omega Collection | Clever Beans & Creative Vault Studios, PS4
- Ashen | Annapurna Interactive, PS4
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla | Ubisoft, PS4/PS5
- Batman: Arkham Knight | WB Games, PS4
- Celeste | Maddy Makes Games, PS4
- Cities: Skylines | Paradox Interactive, PS4
- Control: Ultimate Edition | 505 Games, PS4/PS5
- Dead Cells| Motion Twin, PS4
- Far Cry 3 Remaster | Ubisoft, PS4
- Far Cry 4 | Ubisoft, PS4
- Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition | Square Enix Co. LTD, PS4
- For Honor | Ubisoft, PS4
- Hollow Knight | Team Cherry, PS4
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy | Square Enix Co. LTD., PS4/PS5
- Mortal Kombat 11 | WB Games, PS4/PS5
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
- NBA 2K22 | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
- Outer Wilds | Annapurna Interactive, PS4
- Red Dead Redemption 2 | Rockstar Games, PS4
- Resident Evil | Capcom Co., Ltd, PS4Soulcalibur VI | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
- South Park: The Fractured but Whole | Ubisoft, PS4
- The Artful Escape | Annapurna Interactive, PS4/PS5
- The Crew 2 | Ubisoft, PS4
- Tom Clancy’s The Division | Ubisoft, PS4
PlayStation Plus Premium
- 1 month — $21.99
- 3 months — $59.99
- 12 months — $139.99
Premium includes all of the benefits of Essential and Extra, as well as “up to 340” additional games from the PS1, PS2, PSP and PS3 eras. Some games will have “improved frame rates and higher-quality resolution” over their original versions, PlayStation has teased.
For select original PlayStation and PSP classic games, PlayStation says subscribers will have access to a new user interface that allows you to save any time or rewind the game. Additionally, those who have purchased select PS1 or PSP games will be able to redownload them for free, no PS Plus membership required, while other titles will also be available for purchase individually outside of a subscription.
Classic games — Original PlayStation and PSP
- Ape Escape | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
- Hot Shots Golf | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
- I.Q. Intelligent Qube | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
- Jumping Flash! | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
- Syphon Filter | Bend Studio, Original PlayStation
- Super Stardust Portable | Housemarque, PSP
- Mr. Driller | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., Original PlayStation
- Tekken 2 | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., Original PlayStation
- Worms World Party | Team 17, Original PlayStation
- Worms Armageddon | Team17, Original PlayStation
Classic games — Remasters
- Ape Escape 2 | Japan Studio, PS4
- Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits | Japan Studio, PS4
- Dark Cloud | Japan Studio, PS4
- Dark Cloud 2 | Japan Studio, PS4
- FantaVision | SIE, PS4
- Hot Shots Tennis | Japan Studio, PS4
- Jak II | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Jak 3| Naughty Dog, PS4
- Jak X: Combat Racing | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Rogue Galaxy | Japan Studio, PS4
- Siren | Japan Studio, PS4
- Wild Arms 3 | SIE, PS4
- BioShock Remastered | 2K Games, PS4
- Borderlands The Handsome Collection | 2K Games, PS4
- Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition | Gearbox Publishing, PS4
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning | THQ Nordic, PS4
- LEGO Harry Potter Collection | WB Games, PS4
PlayStation 3 games (original versions, available via streaming)
- Crash Commando | Creative Vault Studios, PS3
- Demon’s Souls | From Software, PS3
- echochrome | Japan Studio, PS3
- Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds | Japan Studio, PS3
- Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational | Japan Studio, PS3
- Ico | Japan Studio, PS3
- Infamous | Sucker Punch, PS3
- Infamous 2 | Sucker Punch, PS3
- Infamous: Festival of Blood | Sucker Punch, PS3
- LocoRoco Cocoreccho! | Japan Studio, PS3
- MotorStorm Apocalypse | Evolution Studios, PS3
- MotorStorm RC | Evolution Studios, PS3
- Puppeteer | Japan Studio, PS3
- rain | Japan Studio, PS3
- Ratchet & Clank: Quest For Booty | Insomniac Games, PS3
- Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time |Insomniac Games, PS3
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus | Insomniac Games, PS3
- Resistance 3 | Insomniac Games, PS3
- Super Stardust HD | Housemarque, PS3
- Tokyo Jungle | Japan Studio, PS3
- When Vikings Attack | Clever Beans, PS3
- Asura’s Wrath | Capcom Co., Ltd., PS3
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 | Konami, PS3
- Devil May Cry HD Collection | Capcom Co., Ltd., PS3
- Enslaved: Odyssey to the West | Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc., PS3
- F.E.A.R. | WB Games, PS3
- Lost Planet 2 | Capcom Co., Ltd., PS3
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 | Koei Tecmo, PS3
- Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare |Rockstar Games, PS3
Finally, here are some of the titles that will offer free, downloadable full-game trials. PlayStation says most of these will only be available for two hours, although the counter only runs when you are actually in the game. Further, any progress, including earned trophies, will carry over into the full game should you decide to purchase it.
- Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection | Naughty Dog, PS5
- Horizon Forbidden West | Guerrilla, PS4/PS5
- Cyberpunk 2077 | CD Projekt, PS5
- Farming Simulator 22 | Giants Software GmBH, PS4/PS5
- Tiny Tina’s Wonderland | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
- WWE 2K22 | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
Going forward, PlayStation says new PS Plus Essential titles (PS4 and PS5) will be added on the first Tuesday of every month — the same as usual. On top of that, new games will be added to the Extra and Premium plans “in the middle of each month.” The exact number of titles will vary per month.
The all-new PlayStation Plus will launch in Canada and the U.S. on June 13th.
Image credit: PlayStation
iOS 15.5—Apple Issues Massive iPhone Security Update For Millions Of Users – Forbes
Almost exactly two months ago, Apple released iOS 15.4 which addressed a hefty 39 security issues for millions of iPhone users. Now there’s another massive security update in the shape of iOS 15.5 which really needs to be installed as soon as possible.
What should be, saving any emergency security updates, the final iOS 15 iteration before iOS 16 is released, has now landed. The functionality enhancements for Apple Cash, Apple Podcasts, and Apple Messages are explained in this article by David Phelan. However, my beat is security, and as that was the reason why I switched from an Android device to an iPhone a couple of years back, here’s what 15.5 brings to the smartphone security party and why you should update now.
The massive iOS 15.5 security update in detail
This crucial iOS update comes with fixes for some 34 vulnerabilities, covering the full gamut of exploit opportunities from executing arbitrary code with kernel or system privileges, to sandbox restriction bypass, denial of service, and privilege elevation.
Like Google with Chrome updates, Apple doesn’t disclose security issues in full technical detail until an update has been made available and a majority users have had a chance to install this. However, some of the impacts should a vulnerability be exploited by a threat actor, as confirmed by Apple include:
- Arbitrary code execution by processing a maliciously crafted image
- Processing of a ‘large input’ could lead to denial of service
- The tracking of users in Safari’s private browsing mode by a malicious website
- Access to photos from the lock screen (requires physical access)
- Code execution by way of malicious web content processing
The full list of Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) references is as follows:
Don’t delay, update to iOS 15.5 today
Although none of the security vulnerabilities patched by the iOS 15.5 update are of the zero-day variety, and none are known to have been exploited by threat actors at this point, that is no excuse for complacency. Now that the fixes are out, it’s a race against time as those who would do you harm look for ways to exploit those vulnerabilities. Most of the security issues have serious enough consequences that updating your iPhone really should be a no-brainer. As Kate O’Flaherty from the Forbes Straight Talking Cyber (STC) team says in the video at the top of this article, the benefits of securing your smartphone outweigh the risks of a functionality bug, more often than not. Of course, your particular use case may mean that holding off on an update is the preferred option but, for the vast majority of users, the ‘don’t delay, update today’ advice stands firm. Ensuring your device is backed up to iCloud or your own computer is recommended before you start any update, of course.
Updating your iPhone: step-by-step
First and foremost, STC recommends that you set your iPhone to update automatically. You can do this by heading to Settings|General|Software Update|Automatic Updates and your iPhone should then update overnight as long as it is charging and connected to Wi-Fi.
Regardless of your automatic update status, unless you have got a notification informing you that your iPhone has already updated to 15.5, it is recommended that you go check and force the issue.
Head to Settings|General|Software Update and start the process.
You will see a progress bar with the download status followed by the preparing update one. Be warned, this can take some time so don’t panic, just wait it out.
Your iPhone will restart, eventually. On my iPhone 13 Pro connected to gigabit broadband, it took around 15 minutes to complete the iOS 15.5 update. Once your device has restarted you will see the above confirmation on your lock screen which means that your device is up to date with security fixes.
iOS 15.5 and macOS 12.4 bring updates to Podcasts, digital payments, and more – Ars Technica
ARTS AROUND: Last chance to view children’s exhibit at Rollin Art Centre – Alberni Valley News
Let's Get Digital! art exhibition at Palazzo Strozzi – The Florentine
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Global Media Markets, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F – TV and Radio Broadcasting, Film and Music, Information Services, Web Content, Search Portals And Social Media, Print Media, & Cable – GlobeNewswire
Economy14 hours ago
Payday loans are on the rise in Canada, due to the pandemic
News14 hours ago
Trinidad and Tobago to launch the 2022 Pan African Festival
Tech20 hours ago
tvOS 15.5, watchOS 8.6, and HomePod Software 15.5 now available to the public – 9to5Mac
News20 hours ago
Residents who fled flooded N.W.T town can return; some services might be unavailable
News19 hours ago
Alberta premier visits U.S. capital to talk North American energy security
News16 hours ago
Canada Day: Celebrations moving from Parliament Hill | CTV News – CTV News Ottawa
Sports13 hours ago
England to host 2025 Women’s Rugby World Cup
News20 hours ago
B.C. to launch ‘circle of care’ for neurodiverse kids but parents have many questions