Connect with us

Media

RCMP arrest Quebec man linked to social media accounts that call COVID-19 a scam, talk of taking arms to Parliament – Globalnews.ca

Published

 on


A Quebec man linked to social media accounts that spoke of taking weapons to Parliament to “clean up house” has been charged after RCMP officers raided his homes and allegedly found 18 firearms.

Raymond Têtu, a 51-year-old resident of Val-des-Monts, Que., about 40 kilometres north of Ottawa, was arrested on Jan. 20 but RCMP only announced the charges Tuesday, after he appeared in court.

Court documents obtained by Global News allege the firearms included Thompson and Lanchester submachine guns, silencers and brass knuckles.

Quebec news outlets tied him to the Twitter and Facebook accounts of a man by the same name who is a supporter of the People’s Party of Canada and Donald Trump.

The Twitter account referred to COVID-19 as a “scamdemic,” and a Jan. 2 post, responding to a video of a police raid in Gatineau for allegedly violating lockdown measures, read: “Start shooting the police, this is as bad as home invasion.”

Story continues below advertisement


Firearm allegedly seized by RCMP during a search of properties linked to Raymond Tetu.

Anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim and anti-Trudeau posts also appeared on the account, including one that called the prime minister a “scumbag” and said “maybe you and your family need to be tough [Sic] a lesson.”

“It will be soon time to take arms to parliament and clean up house,” read another Twitter post.

On Facebook, he wrote that “civil war is needed…Fellow canadians buy as many guns as possible, you will need them to save your country.”

Some of his Facebook posts were labelled “false information” by the social media company.

The RCMP said its Airport and Federal Investigations Detachment executed a search warrant of Têtu’s home last week and found guns, drugs and counterfeit U.S. banknotes.


Police photo showing bills allegedly seized from properties linked to Raymond Tetu.

More firearms were found at a second residence in Gatineau, police said.

Story continues below advertisement

“A total of 18 firearms were seized, including an assault rifle and a Thompson sub-machine gun. Four gun silencers and a few thousand dollars of counterfeit U.S. bank notes were also seized,” RCMP said.

Têtu has been charged with possession of prohibited devices, importation of prohibited devices, possession of counterfeit U.S. money and “other related offenses,” the RCMP said.

He is in custody and returns to court on Friday.

Stewart.bell@globalnews.ca

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

QYOU Media Q2 FY 2021 Revenue Grows 148% Over Q1 FY2021 – Canada NewsWire

Published

 on


TORONTO, LOS ANGELES, and MUMBAI, India, March 1, 2021 /CNW/ – QYOU Media Inc. (TSXV: QYOU) (OTCQB: QYOUF), a company operating in India and the United States producing and distributing content created by social media stars and digital content creators, has reported financial results for the second quarter of Q2 fiscal year 2021 ended December 31, 2020.

Impact of COVID-19:  As previously reported by the company on June 1, 2020 and on October 28, 2020, the business in both India and the United States experienced material negative impact due to the loss of contracts and revenue caused by the COVID-19 pandemic from early March thru to the end of September (Q1 FY 2021).  Results for Q2 FY 2021 continued to experience some negative impact from COVID-19.

For the three months ending December 31, 2020, revenue was $968,139 up 148% as compared to $390,950 in FY Q1 2021 and down 2% from $986,341 for the three months ended December 31, 2019.  Net loss was $518,578 for the 3 months ending December 31, 2020 representing a decrease of 55% as compared to a net loss of $1,149,333 in FY Q1 2021 and a decrease of 73% from $1,944,944 for the three months ended December 31, 2019. 

QYOU Media, via its Q India subsidiary has continued to experience rapid growth in 2021 in ratings, distribution and revenues. Highlights include:

In addition the company recently completed fully subscribed bought deal financing  for $11.5 million including the over allotment led by investment banks Clarus Securities, Canaccord Genuity and Gravitas Securities.  https://www.wildlaw.ca/transactions/2021/qyou-media-inc-completes-$11-million-bought-deal-financing/

Curt Marvis, Co-Founder and CEO of QYOU Media commented, “We are delighted with  our growth in 2021 across all key metrics. After three years of solid work and investment the  company is now positioned in India to grow revenue and brand recognition in a meaningful way. We continue to believe this is only the beginning of a much steeper growth trajectory for our business in the second half of the year.”

The Q India is an advertiser and influencer marketing supported Hindi language content brand, channel and VOD provider delivering hit digital programming from social media stars and leading digital video creators targeting Young Indian audiences.  The channel has recently become one of India’s fastest growing youth entertainment brands reaching 4.4 Gross Rating Points(GRP) on BARC (Broadcast Audience Research Council) in February 2021. With a growing library of over 850 programs, and beginning in April with the addition of DD Free Dish, the channel will reach an audience of 700 million via 88 million television homes with partners including TATA Sky, Airtel DTH, SitiNetworks and DD Free Dish; 380 million OTT users via platforms including ShemarooMe, MX Player, ZEE5, and Dish Watcho; and 232 million users on mobile and digital platforms including Snap, JioTV, Airtel Xstream, Amazon Fire TV and Chingari. 

The company also announced that on June 5, 2017, Curt Marvis, the Chief Executive Officer of the Company, issued a promissory note to and in favour of the Company, evidencing a loan by the Company to Mr. Marvis in the original principal amount of US$150,000. The Note bears interest at a rate of three percent per annum. Subject to the approval of the TSX Venture Exchange, the Board of Directors and Mr. Marvis agreed that if Mr. Marvis still held the position of an executive of the Company as at January 31, 2021, the obligations outstanding under the Note as at such date would be forgiven. As Mr. Marvis remained Chief Executive Officer of the Company on January 31, 2021, the Note has been cancelled, subject to the approval of the TSX Venture Exchange. In addition the company has filed for the issuance of 4.4M options (exercisable at $.30 per share) and 8.8M RSU grants to certain executives and board members under the vesting terms of the respective plans. 

About QYOU Media

QYOU Media operates in India and the United States producing and distributing content created by social media stars and digital content creators. In India, we curate, produce and distribute premium content including television networks and VOD for cable and satellite television, OTT and mobile platforms. In the United States, we manage influencer marketing campaigns for major film studios and brands. Founded and created by industry veterans from Lionsgate, MTV, Disney and Sony, QYOU Media’s millennial and Gen Z-focused content reaches more than 700 million consumers around the world.  Experience our work at www.qyoumedia.com and www.theq.tv

Forward-Looking Statements

This press release may contain “forward-looking information” and “forward-looking statements”within the meaning of applicable securities laws, including, without limitation, the Company’s future plans and anticipated results, the strengthening of the Company’s position and revenue in India, growth in the influencer marketing segments of the Company’s business, and new strategic partnerships. All information contained herein that is not clearly historical in nature may constitute forward-looking information. Forward-looking statements are necessarily based upon a number of estimates and assumptions that, although considered reasonable by management, are inherently subject to significant business, economic and competitive risks, uncertainties and contingencies that may cause actual financial results, performance or achievements to be materially different from the estimated future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by those forward-looking statements and the forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance. Additional risks and uncertainties regarding QYOU Media are described in its publicly available disclosure documents, filed by QYOU Media on SEDAR at www.sedar.com except as updated herein. The forward-looking statements contained in this news release represent QYOU Media’s expectations as of the date of this news release, or as of the date they are otherwise stated to be made, and subsequent events may cause these expectations to change. Except as required by law, QYOU Media undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as may be required by law. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on these forward-looking statements.

Neither the TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.

SOURCE QYOU Media Inc.

For further information: [email protected]

Related Links

http://theqyou.com/

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Former FC Barcelona officials detained after raid on soccer club, Spanish media report – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Catalan police detained several people after raiding Barcelona’s stadium on Monday in a search and seize operation, adding to the club’s turmoil less than a week before it elects a new president.

The operation was related to last year’s “Barcagate,” in which club officials were accused of launching a smear campaign against current and former players who were critical of the club and then-president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

Police said detentions were made but did not say who or how many people were taken into custody. Spanish media said Bartomeu and other former club officials were among those detained.

Authorities spent several hours at the team’s headquarters searching documents and talking to employees.

The club, mired in debt of more than 1.1 billion euros ($1.68 billion Cdn), said it offered “full collaboration to the legal and police authorities to help make clear facts which are subject to investigation.”

It added the case was related “to the contacting of monitoring services on social networks.”

“The information and documentation requested by the judicial police force relate strictly to the facts relative to this case. FC Barcelona (expresses) its utmost respect for the judicial process in place and for the principle of presumed innocence for the people affected within the remit of this investigation,” the club said.

The club did not mention Bartomeu.  A text message sent to Bartomeu was not immediately answered.

Key former officials detained

One of the three presidential candidates, Joan Laporta, told Lleida Radio that what happened on Monday “was a consequence of the bad management by the previous administration.”

He said news of Bartomeu’s reported detention was “shocking” and “not good” for the club, but said the former president deserved the “presumption of innocence.”

Laporta was Barcelona’s president a decade ago and, like Bartomeu, also faced a no-confidence vote during his time in charge.

Among those reportedly detained were club CEO Oscar Grau and legal department chief Roman Gomez Ponti. Jaume Masferrer, Bartomeu’s former chief of staff, also was allegedly detained.

Police say several people were detained but did not say who or how many were taken into custody. (AP/Joan Monfort)

They were taken to a police station for interrogation, Spanish media said, and police also went to Bartomeu’s house searching for evidence. 

Court officials said a judge ordered the search and seize operation but the detentions were made at the discretion of the police agents involved. Authorities said the operation was being carried out by the police’s financial crimes department.

A period of struggles

Barcelona has denied accusations that it hired – and overpaid – a company to make negative comments about its own players and opponents on social media in order to boost the image of senior club officials.

The company was accused of using fake social media accounts to discredit opposition figures when they expressed views that went against the club. Some of the figures were reported to have included players such Lionel Messi and Gerard Pique, as well as former coach Pep Guardiola.

The club later released an independent audit report showing that there was no wrongdoing.

Bartomeu and his board of directors resigned last year amid fallout from the controversy surrounding Messi. The club has been mired in political turmoil and debt prompted by the coronavirus pandemic.

The club has been managed by a caretaker board since Bartomeu left in October while facing a no-confidence motion supported by thousands of club members furious at the team’s poor performances and the club’s financial situation.

The club’s struggles began to surface after the team’s embarrassing 8-2 loss to Bayern Munich in the quarterfinals of the Champions League last season, which was the first without a title for the Spanish club since the 2007/08 season.

Bartomeu was loudly criticized by Messi, especially after the former president denied the player’s request to leave the club at the end of last season. Messi’s contract ends this season and the Argentine great has yet to say whether he will stay or go.

Barcelona is five points off the Spanish league lead. It lost at home to Paris Saint-Germain 4-1 in the first leg of the round of 16 of the Champions League and was beaten by Sevilla 2-0 in the first leg of the Copa del Rey semifinals.
 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Social Media Reactions To Donald Trump's CPAC Speech – Forbes

Published

 on


On Sunday night, the 78th Golden Globe Awards honored the best in American television and film as chosen by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. However the real show, according to social media, had taken place hours earlier across the country in Orlando, Florida at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). It marked the first time former President Donald Trump spoke to followers since President Joe Biden took office in January, and just weeks after Trump was acquitted in his second impeachment trial.

Also quite notable was that it was a stark departure from protocol, in which former presidents largely stay silent on matters related to the sitting president. Instead Trump offered a strong criticism of Biden and suggested U.S. policy had gone from “America first to America last.”

CPAC is the largest meeting of conservative activists and politicians in the United States, and it generally serves as a portent to the direction the Republican Party is headed. Based on the reception Trump received at the event, and on social media – it is clear that Trump will remain a dominant force.

Moreover, Trump made it quite clear that he wasn’t interested in forming a new party, but instead would work to unite Republicans and help take back control of Congress including the Senate and House of Representatives.

Based on social media it seems clear that Trump’s supporters aren’t looking to move to past his era and instead could be looking forward to the 2024 campaign. While former President Trump didn’t actually announce that he’ll be running again, his words could be inferred to suggest that Trump is up for a rematch with Biden – and told his followers he’d be ready to win for “third time” – insisting again that voter fraud played a factor in his loss to Biden in November.

Social Media Support

Since the November election, Twitter and other platforms have largely been filled with tweets and posts calling for Trump’s impeachment, conviction and arrest, while others have been hoping Trump would simply go away. However, after the CPAC speech, it seemed that his followers have been energized in ways not even seen during the run up to the election.

Actor/comedian Terrence K. Williams (@W_terrence) was among Trump supporters who praised the former president’s speech.

Reporter Kyle Becker (@kylenabecker) noted the number of viewers who tuned in to watch Trump’s CPAC address.

There were also many who noted that CPAC scored higher ratings than Sunday evening’s Golden Globes ceremony on NBC.

Critics Will Remain Vocal

There were a fair number of detractors on social media on Sunday and Monday, as well. Among them was Noah Bookbinder (@NoahBookbinder), president of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, who tweeted, “Donald Trump is not only maintaining the lie that he won the 2020 election, but his supporters are using that lie to justify restricting voting and democracy. That makes passing HR1, the For the People Act, which protects voting and democracy, more urgent.”

There was also no shortage of memes that poked fun at the former president while others attempted to compare CPAC to a white nationalist event.

What is clear from the response on Sunday and Monday is that Trump remains largely at the head of the U.S. conservative movement, and his supporters continue to stand by him. Given this support, it is unlikely that Biden’s calls for unity can come to fruition – half the country is standing by the other guy, while Biden’s own supporters still seem unwilling to compromise with anything the GOP has to say.

The uncivil war will likely continue to rage on, especially on social media.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending